[time-nuts] Information on the Danjon Astrolab

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Aug 8 12:50:03 EDT 2006

Hi Geoff:

Thanks for the reference to "Geodesy".  Do you know if the first edition
has the Danjon information?
I ask because the second editions are rather pricey and the 3rd and 4th
are not available at all.
Could someone on this list make a copy of the Danjon section?

The PZT used a large pool of Mercury to define "Up".  The source of many
errors was considered in the design and as far as I know were all
eliminated.  The PZT worked by exposing a glass plate at 4 known times.
I think it was reversed for two of the exposures and then after
development read on what amounted to a coordinate measuring machine.
Then a number of corrections could be made depending on the geometric
relation between the 4 points.

The Dent Meridian Instrument or as he called it the Dipleidscope uses a
couple of mirrors behind a clear glass and when the two reflections
coincide the star is on the meridian.  The manual gives a number of ways
of aligning it, one of which depends on already knowing the time.  See:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Dent.shtml  But it's intended for
visual use, not automated.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke