[time-nuts] Information on the Danjon Astrolab

Geoff Powell geoff at g8kbz.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 14:10:52 EDT 2006

In article <44D8C0BB.1030608 at pacific.net>, Brooke Clarke
<brooke at pacific.net> writes
>Hi Geoff:
>
>Thanks for the reference to "Geodesy".  Do you know if the first edition
>has the Danjon information?
>I ask because the second editions are rather pricey and the 3rd and 4th
>are not available at all.
>Could someone on this list make a copy of the Danjon section?

I'm quoting from memory about the workings of the Danjon Astrolabe - the
book was borrowed from my local library, and I don't remember which
edition it was.

Nor can I quote chapter and verse, I fear - although I will attempt to
re-borrow the book, and copy the relevant section. Later this week, I
hope.

AFAIR, the discussion was of the workings of various instruments for
determination of time from the stars, together with ways to mitigate the
systematic errors in each instrument. "Personal equation" figured large
in all this, which is why the PZT was preferred.
--
Geoff Powell