[time-nuts] OSA 8600 Oscillators

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Mar 15 17:19:39 EST 2006

>> The PDF says that nothing contacts the crystal, which implies capacitive
>> coupling. Interesting.
>
> This is the core idea of the BVA technology as I have gathered it. By not
> putting aluminium contacts on the crystal, there is no Al atoms/ions
> migrating
> into the crystal and thus causing aging. Instead is the connectors really
> close
> by since their presense is to cause a electrostatic field anyway.

My impression talking to the experts about this is that atoms
migrating into the crystal is not one of the main causes of aging,
and thus this is a solution to a non-problem.  There are many new
problems created by the means necessary to do non contact electrodes.
Thus, the BVA design should not be seen as a panacea.  They may
be very good crystals or not, but the fact that they are BVA is
no guarantee of anything in particular.  Not to mention that fact
that you still have the electronics and oven to worry about, which
the BVA structure has no effect on.

Rick Karlquist N6RK