[time-nuts] OSA 8600 Oscillators

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Mar 15 16:59:27 EST 2006

From: "Bill Hawkins" <bill at iaxs.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] OSA 8600 Oscillators
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:32:28 -0600

> The PDF says that nothing contacts the crystal, which implies capacitive
> coupling. Interesting.

This is the core idea of the BVA technology as I have gathered it. By not
putting aluminium contacts on the crystal, there is no Al atoms/ions migrating
into the crystal and thus causing aging. Instead is the connectors really close
by since their presense is to cause a electrostatic field anyway.

> Oscilloquartz is part of the Swatch group. It has been in the business of
> time synchronization for more than 20 years. All that I could learn from
> their web site is that they are proud of their BVA crystal technology, which
> was announced in 1982.
>
> Does anyone know anything about the technology?

A little. I think I have some articles lying around... but I am quite sure I
could dig up more.

Oscilloquartz is one of the companies that has popped up around Observatorie
Neuchatel and besides crystal oscillators you will find Cesium beams and
Hydrogen masers comming out of there (Not only OSA that is...).

Cheers,
Magnus