[time-nuts] HP E1938 Web Page

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 28 18:22:27 EDT 2007

From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] HP E1938 Web Page
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:36:44 EDT

> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>
> In a message dated 8/28/2007 13:41:24 Pacific Daylight Time, rexa at sonic.net
> writes:
>

> Here's a link to the resulting png from hpgs
> _ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/rexa/E1938A/E1938_asdrawb.png_
> (ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/rexa/E1938A/E1938_asdrawb.png)
> Anybody here that can generate PDF's with 300 or more DPI?

Where's the problem??? PDF as such is really not DPI limited, raster formats in
it is however... but a good HPGL to PS to PDF conversion would still only be
vectors...

> PS, HPGL, PNG, all not standard anymore as this long thread is showing...
> JPG, PDF, HTML is the name of the game these days :)

Said, you have your timing screwed up here. PNG is definitly much newer than
JPG. PNG is certainly standard and viewers are plentiful (web-browsers
anyone?). Hell, even GIF87 still works!!! HTML is also older than PNG. I've
seen PNG progress from the GIF2000 proposal after I have been teaching HTML and
JPG to the students.

Doing such incorrect timing errors on a time-list? Can't avoid pointing them
out.

HPGL is an old format, that is true. Still makes alot of wheels turn, but maybe
not as generic exchange format these days.

PS is still a very valid format, but it is not as neat as PDF and thankfully
PDF is now more widely spread, but it has been a major headache before.

Oh, and HTML is old as hell now, you should sing the prais of XHTML and XML
these days. It is only old farts like myself that still hack HTML by hand.
My webpages layout makes stone-age feel recent and as a fresh wind.

PS. I envy you guys for having the E1938A to fool around with!!!

Cheers,
Magnus - running old?