[time-nuts] HP E1938 Web Page

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Tue Aug 28 22:51:01 EDT 2007

I'll say this once again.

The only two appropriate conversion options for the HPGL files are:

1. SVG -- the W3C XML standard for vector graphics (cf.
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/ )

2. PDF -- via a path produces vector PostScript in the PDF, i.e., one that
has NOT gone through RIP (Raster Image Processing).

(If you claim to have a PDF processing solution, you must say if the
solution RIP's the graphics.   If it does or you don't know, it is a
non-solution!)

Anything else is a BAD idea.  This certainly includes any path that results
in JPEG of any sort, GIF, TIFF, or any other raster images except maybe for
thumbnails.  I don't care if your raster compression technology is lossless;
it is the wrong thing here.

(I apologize if I sound harsh, but there's some misinformation being
spread.)

-ch