[time-nuts] Upgrading possibilities for more accurate, precise stable mark ii

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 15 00:42:37 EST 2007

> Are you positive there are no locations at your apartment that can
> receive  GPS.  I live in an apartment and can get suitable signals
> with hockey puck  antennas mounted on four-inch square ground planes
> placed in various  windows.  The ground planes are horizontal.  I
> thought about tilting the  ground planes, but too much thermal ground
> noise is received.

I was going to make a similar suggestion.

I live in a simple one story house.  GPS reception is right on the edge.

The SiRF Star-III units work anyplace.  They may take a long time to lock up.
 Their NMEA text is poor for timekeeping.  I haven't checked the PPS yet.

The previous generation, including the Garmin GPS 18 and SiRF Star-II, just
barely work most of the time if I put them up on the top of the window.

I haven't tried next to the glass.