[time-nuts] Stuff I bought

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Wed Dec 26 14:30:05 EST 2007

I hope this might start a holiday thread of cool stuff other people have
purchased recently.

Here are a few things that I've bought this year that I really like.
jeff

------

Smart Tweezers
http://www.advancedevices.com/

It's an RLC meter packaged in a pair of tweezers.  It's accurate and
fast, feels good to use on the bench.  When working with SMT parts,
particularly capacitors that typically aren't marked with values, this
tool makes it easy to deal with tiny parts on the bench.

Truth be told, this product is probably the version before the one you
really want to own.  I've found a couple of bugs in the software and the
industrial design should be nicer, but it's still a good product.

SMA wrench
http://www.smelectronics.us/coaxialtorquewrenchessmatypendin.htm

I've never known how much to tighten an SMA connector.  As time goes by
I have more and more SMA connectors.  I've seen real RF guys with SMA
torque wrenches, but never broken down and bought one until this year.
The 5/16" ST-SMA3 is very satisfying and I never worry about SMA
connections (but it's a little too expensive). I think 8 in.lbs is the
right number.

Suunto Tandem compass and clinometer
http://www.suunto.com (click on precision instruments)

This is a really fantastic machined aluminum compass and clinometer.
It's super precise and has optical sites on both instruments.  I find it
amazingly accurate with a little practice.  I can look up an Iridium
flare on heavens-above.com, point the device at the sky and find the
precise az/el location just before the flare.  It's made in Finland,
that seems good for some unknown reason.

Sure Electronics
http://stores.ebay.com/Sure-Electronics

They are an ebay seller in mainland China that ships directly to buyers
worldwide. They sell a bunch of junk, but the nice things they sell are
designer kits of passive components.  They are a little slow, it seems
to take a couple of weeks to get an item, but they have some really nice
design kits.  You can get a 2000 piece kit of 0805 capacitors, each
value in neatly labeled boxes for less than $20 including shipping.
This is about $100 from Digikey and not nearly as nice.