[time-nuts] SRS SR620 External Source Issue -- Help Request

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Feb 22 14:58:16 EST 2007

> Perhaps you're running into some sort of meta-stability problem since
> your  clock and input are synchronous. Try lengthening one of the
> cables a foot  or so and see if it makes any difference.

I'd be very suspicious of a metastability problem if the results are even
somewhat reproducible.

Most of the quirks that get blamed on metastability are just simple
setup/hold errors such that an input to a state machine has different values
at different FFs.  The two obvious causes are a longer delay on one path
(more logic, longer routing) or slightly different setup times on the FFs so
a signal gets to both at the same time and meets setup one one but doesn't
the other one.