[time-nuts] Soekris NTP server

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 16:47:10 EST 2007

A result!

I have it working now.

A few notes in no particular order for anyone else who wishes to try
this with the soekris 4521

1/ the junction of R61/r62 are between JP1 and the CF slot but are not
marked as R61/R62. the end of the 2 resistors facing the outside edge of
the board is the junction between R61/R62
I can send a photo if anyone needs it

2/ the GPIO0 pin is the second pin in from the left on the bottom row as
seen with the board serial port facing you

3/ I didn't manage to get it to use NMEA data on the only available
serial port, besides having the serial console on this port the soekris
board will not boot anyway if there is NMEA data coming in on the boot
console port.

Instead I have PPS disciplining external NTP server sources. Noting is
going to happen (as in it looks like it's not working) until you have a
valid prefer source set (If in doubt it does indeed pay to read the NTP
documentation!) this is a good site for that
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/pps.html

when the 4501 boards arrive here the intention is to build a pair of NTP
servers using clockblocks (one will also require a fat PPS to condition
a Z3801A PPS output)
One will go in our data-centre where it will be a very stable few msec
away from the other irish stratum 1 standards and following tests I'll
make it (or it's downstream ) publicly available. Any thoughts on what
sort of load a soekris net4501 NTP server can bear.

the other one will be here in the house.

Thank you to all here, especially PHK and John Ackermann for putting up
with all my Dumb questions

Also thanks to John for explaining to me exactly how this very clever
hack works.

regards

Brendan Minish