[time-nuts] Austron PRR-10 GPS discliplined Rb...

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jan 27 22:03:05 EST 2007

David I. Emery wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:07:23PM +1300, Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>
>>> David
>>>
>>> I presume that the leading edge of the GPS receiver PPS pulse samples
>>> the DDS phase accumulator register content.
>>> This is not possible with most modern DDS chips with integrated DACs, in
>>> which the DDS accumulator or its truncated phase output is not
>>> externally accessible, it cannot be read, nor is there any provision for
>>> capturing the phase at the leading edge of an external signal.
>>>
>>> However one could always use a gate array to implement the digital part
>>> of a DDS and include a phase capture register.
>>> An external DAC (and sine table) would be required to synthesize the
>>> corrected sine wave frequency source output.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

>> ADDENDUM
>>
>> When sampling the phase accumulator of an NCO with the leading edge of
>> an external signal, first the external signal must be synchronised to
>> the NCO clock using a multistage synchroniser. The synchroniser output
>> has an inherent timing jitter of about 2 clock cycles peak to peak which
>> limits the sampled phase effective resolution. To increase the single
>> shot sampled phase effective resolution, either the NCO clock frequency
>> can be increased, incurring greater power dissipation and cost, or a TDC
>> can be used to measure the synchroniser input output delay and combined
>> with the sampled phase to increase the effective single shot sampled
>> phase resolution without increasing the NCO clock frequency.
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>> Bruce
>>

> 	I am curious enough to try to figure this out for the PRR-10.
> It did occur to me that to use the 1 PPS to sample the accumulated phase
> register you'd pretty obviously want to do this at well over 100 MHz in
> order to get enough resolution (eg lack of quantizing noise) to usefully
> track in the 10^12 area (100 MHz is only 10 ns time resolution, after
> all).
>
> 	This is obviously completely inconsistent with a 20 MHz clocked
> system (50 ns per tick), though one with an internal PLL multiplier
> might be good enough (easily done in a modern FPGA with these things
> internal and 400 or better MHz clocks possible, but doubtful for a mid
> 90s design).
>
> 	There is one obvious alternative - use the DDS to synthesize say
> 5 or 1 mhz and filter that with analog filtering (crystal filter) and
> then use the 1 PPS from the Oncore to sample the 5 or 1 mhz with a fast
> sampler (eg your suggestion of a TDC) at the time of the 1 PPS edge.
> This provides whatever resolution the  analog A/D and sampler will do
> without all the ramp generator complexity.   And does not involve any
> form of synchronizer with its inherent uncertainty window.   (And of
> course you then do synchronize the 1 PPS and read the coarse phase bits
> from the phase accumulator sampled on the 1 PPS).

David

Modern TDC chips just use internal gate delays and either a delay locked
loop or periodic calibration to achieve subnanosecond resolution without
needing any external ramp generators etc.

Having the DDS and GPS receiver use the same clock eliminates the need
for any external ADC or TDC.
The GPS receiver can then use the DDS or an equivalent digital micro
phasestepper in conjunction with an analog bandpass filter to produce a
disciplined output frequency.

Alternatively the DDS or phase stepper can generate the GPS receiver
clock from the local frequency standard.
The GPS can then discipline its clock via the DDS or phase stepper using
GPS carrier and code phase measurements.
Of course, one would then have to write ones own GPS receiver firmware
to accomplish this.

Bruce