[time-nuts] Government Liquidation

TheInfamousFlavio at hotmail.com TheInfamousFlavio at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:22:04 EDT 2007

Like jshank, it is a real "buyer beware "sort of deal even if you can
inspect things in person.  If you have a problem, the customer service is
the worst!  You have to wait two weeks for an answer sometimes.  Even if
your dispute is serious, you may not even have a chance to appeal their
decision.  The last I checked, you'll loose 25% of  what you pay (which is
10% to 18% higher than what your winning bid is because of taxes and auction
fees) if you show up and the lot isn't what you thought it was and you
decide not to take it.

Another time, I've seen their employees remove items from a lot AFTER the
auction closed but before the winning bidder picked them up.  When I
questioned them about it, they said that some pieces were incorrectly
classified and had to be removed.  So I asked them what they would do when
the buyer sees those items missing, the guy actually told me that IF the
buyer sees them missing, that they would work out some sort of deal! (IF
buyer noticed)

There is all sorts of paperwork that's a pain if you buy classified sales
where the stuff they get is from classified projects.   Many of the items
have been sitting on the shelves for years.  I bought one piece a while ago,
it was classified as a "working" item,  but when I opened it up, everything
inside was corroded from exposure to salty sea air.  Another big thing to
watch out for is if something is listed in one place in the auction  but not
in the auction title,   it may not necessarily be in that lot!

My advise to the brave at heart,  real ALL the contract docs and fine print
all over the website to understand the fees and auction rules.  AND you MUST
inspect the pieces.  They keep a log of who inspected what lot, and if you
didn't inspect that lot in person and you have a problem--you won't have a
leg to stand on when trying to file a complaint.

Like jshank says,  this was a good deal a few years ago, but people are
willing to pay way too much for stuff they have no idea if it works

-Flavio