[time-nuts] NTP Synchronised Nixie Tube Clock

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Tue May 8 16:17:42 EDT 2007

Hello,
as I do not have problems with this strange lange, I hope I can help finding the answer ;-)
According the description, not having started with a ready overall design the developper Friedhelm Bruegmann did work 7 years on it!
He did start, because he had the idea to bring all his collected valves into practical use after a long period of collection.
A lot of appearing technical problems had to be solved then. Therefore it was not possible to have a clear idea about the power needed for this project, which finally gave him some headaches. Though theoretically
possible to avoid  all semiconductors totally, the transformers of choice turned out to be too small. As there are already 103 vacuum tubes in use, just the heater current levelled up to 39A! But, as at the time of digital
breakthrough semiconducter diodes were already in mixed use with VTs, Friedhelm did not see a breach of style to use SC-diodes. He applied 4xBY227, 66xBA157, 72x1N4148. All these parts are clearly shown in the
diagrams and mentioned in the description. I stopped thinking about the bigger size of chassis he would have needed.
Anyway, a outstanding development!

Beside, did ENIAC use any semiconducters?

The run-up you can watch here:
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Bruegmann-Digital-Roehren-Clock/mov002.zip
The set-back is shown here:
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Bruegmann-Digital-Roehren-Clock/mov003.zip