[time-nuts] Reminder -- FMT on October 13

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Oct 3 21:17:19 EDT 2007

*** Note important updates in this information ***

The Midwest VHF/UHF Society (located in Southwest Ohio) is pleased to
announce that the first annual MVUS Frequency Measuring Test will be
held on Saturday, October 13, 2007.  There will be two transmission
periods: the first at 14:30 EDT (1830 UTC), and the second at 21:30 EDT
(0130 UTC Sunday).  Transmissions will be on the 80M, 40M, and 30M
amateur bands from Dayton, Ohio under the callsign W8KSE.

Frequencies will be approximately: 3555 kHz, 7055 kHz, and 10115 kHz,
but be prepared to tune as we will adjust to minimize QRM.  We've
obtained the loan of a heavy-duty amplifier, and hope to run close to 1
KW on 80 meters for the daytime run, and on either 80 or 40 (depending
on our sense of the propagation) for the evening run.  The other
transmitters will be running about 75 watts output.  We'll be using wire
antennas for each band.  All the transmitters will be driven from a
common frequency standard.

We will transmit on all three bands simultaneously.  Plans are to
transmit two 10 minute test periods, and a third if the transmitters
aren't melting by that point.  The frequency will be changed by a small
amount (less than 200 Hz) between transmission periods.  So, a complete
submission will include two or three separate measurements for each band.

Our goal is to transmit a signal known in frequency to parts in 10e-12
(i.e., less than 0.0001 Hz error at 10 MHz) and stable to a similar
level during the course of the transmission.  Frequencies will be
measured at the transmitter site with a system capable of microHertz
resolution referenced to a GPS disciplined oscillator, and will also be
monitored by another station in groundwave range that can measure the
frequencies with similar accuracy.

The MVUS Frequency Measuring Test is intended to supplement, not
replace, the ARRL FMT.

Further information will be posted at http://www.febo.com/time-freq/FMT.
 You can also send email with questions or comments (or, after the test,
your results!) to "fmt at mvus.org".

We've had some donations, so we are happy to announce that the grand
prize will be a TAPR TADD-1 distribution amplifier kit, and additional
prizes of ARRL publications will also be awarded.  We're still trying to
figure out just how to determine winners, so you'll have to trust us. :-)

For discussion about off-air frequency measurement, we suggest you check
out the FMT-nuts mailing list, sponsored by Connie Marshall, K5CM.  For
details, go to http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMT-nuts/.