[time-nuts] from Sputnik to CD

Henk ten Pierick henk at deriesp.demon.nl
Tue Oct 9 14:29:36 EDT 2007

1. At first: thank you Greg Burnett.

2. There are some nice similarities between audio and time keeping.
  As an example: the relation between jitter and what is audible is a
difficult one. There are not yet good models developed. The models
are based on single or dual tone stimuli.
Also: the relation between temperature behaviour and oscillator
frequency is a difficult one. There are not yet good models
developed. See the excellent articles of Rick Karlquist on this.
The way out for this temperature modeling problem is the oven or even
the double oven. For audio and jitter such a solution is not possible.

3. It is clear to me, and has been clear to me always, that I can not
hear pico seconds jitter on a clock. But it is also clear to me, and
has been demonstrated by others, that effects can be heard that
correlate very well with the measurements of this pico second jitter
value. It is very well audible in music on loudspeakers.

4. I do not have a model for what can be heard in relation to jitter.
Psycho-acoustic models are most based on single or dual tone stimuli.

5. W.r.t. the SPDIF interface, it is the low frequency content of the
jitter is caused by the loop. It is the proportional part of the loop
that make another difference. Driving the drive from the dac, thus
reversing the direction, helps and shows a big improvement.

6. Noise like jitter is more audible than sine modulation. I do not
know why.

Henk.