[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

fre_eng at g4fre.com fre_eng at g4fre.com
Fri Oct 12 09:51:14 EDT 2007

I used to use the clipon posistors to stabilise my crystals (the Murata
BM500N previously mentioned) but after seeing some results on what
temperature they really stabilise at versus what they should stabilise at i
moved on to the heater controller design by John Hazell at

http://www.microwaves.dsl.pipex.com/mk2/mk2.pdf

note in recent iterations the crystal is embedded in the aluminium block

After using the calibration technique he mentions to operate the crystal at
the "knee" point oscillators have had adequate stability for 134GHz local
oscillator usage

Dave