[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 02:05:26 EDT 2007

Enough speculation on ground temperatures.
The attenuation of cyclic variations of surface temperature die away
at an exponential rate with depth.
The thermal diffusivity of soils does vary but not so you can not
generalise.
For daily changes, the temperature variation is attenuated to 1% of
the surface swing between
0.3 and 0.6 metres.
For the annual swing, the distances are about 20 times greater.
I once was investigating a limestone cave climate, and I was
delighted by
a pure sine wave of temperature that showed up on a data logger after
a year
of measureing the temperature of the cave roof. It would not have
been noticed except
that the logger was a high resolution model.
It was about 15 metres underground.
Higher frequencies have much higher attenuation, so the harmonics of
daily and
annual  cycles are quickly lost.
Thermal transients propagate into the ground on a different law,
Gauss' Error Function.
If the ground is cleared of trees, one hundred years later at a depth
of 100 metres or
so there will be a record of the change in average soil temperature.
The Cave was Saltpetre Cave in Carter Caves Park.
Just thought you might like to know.....
Neville Michie