[time-nuts] GOES time service

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu Apr 10 14:45:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:57:17 -0700, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>Are there any legitimate concerns?  Or even semi-legitimate?

Back in the mid-80s I managed a software development group for a Fortune 500 company.
We were located in a high rise in Atlanta.  The development lab was on one floor and
the server farm was two floors below.  We had one laser printer for the whole floor
when I took over the group.  I wanted to add another.  The quote from the building
manager-approved contractor (the only one kicking back, er "approved") to run one
serial cable about 50 feet was a tick under $12,000.

I don't recall what all was involved because I looked at the bottom line, cursed and
tossed it in the garbage.  We, being hackers all, had already made master keys so we
"midnight engineered" the job one weekend.  That same technique would be my
inclination for getting a patch antenna on the roof.

John

--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com