[time-nuts] Power monitoring

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Thu Apr 17 14:52:27 EDT 2008

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20080417113454.pqo743vltwgwc8c8 at webmail.jpl.nasa.gov>, Jim Lux writ
> es:
>
>>> As long as I'm dreaming...  Suppose I wanted to measure the power my whole
>>> house is drawing.  What's available along the lines of a current transformer
>>> on the main lines?  My first thought is that nobody does that (for homes) so
>>> it's probably horribly expensive.  On the other hand there is a lot of
>>> interest in energy conservation these days so it might only be somewhat
>>> expensive.
>> Lots of these available, in the few hundred dollar range..
>
> The best and likely cheapest solution is to get the data from your
> utility meter.  Most meters have a "S0" output which sends a pulse
> evern X Wh.
>
> If you can't find it, ask your power-company for access.  Tell them
> you want to monitor your energy conservation effort and they'll likely
> not charge you for it.
>
> If that fails, search google for "gasdims" :-)

I like this thing
   http://www.digital-loggers.com/epcr2.html

It has two busses, one can be powered by a UPS and the other directly
off the mains.  You can measure power and voltage on both busses, it has
a reasonable web interface, you can turn the outlets on/off from the
network.

I think it's a deal for $295, but they also have a cheaper model.

jeff