[time-nuts] RS485/422/232 Chip

Christian Vogel vogelchr at vogel.cx
Sat Apr 26 06:17:09 EDT 2008

Hi Bruce,
>> The MAXIM  MAX3162E will do RS485/422 and RS232 in the one chip , get samples from maxim.com.
> These devices only implement a single RS485/RS422 transmitter and receiver.
That's true for the 3160 which can be switched between two RX and two TX
of RS232 or one RX and one TX of RS485.
The 3162 does both functions simultaneously.

I had a look at the MAX3535E recently, which has a isolated RS485
transceiver with capacitive coupling in it, did anyone of you use those
to break ground-loops? I'm especially interested if this kind of
"capacitor-isolation barrier" adds any significant noise to the RS485
lines, which might couple into sensitive signals running in parallel, or
if I should just go the traditional optocoupler-route.

Greetings from Germany,