[time-nuts] RS485/422/232 Chip

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 09:19:06 EDT 2008

I am using the LTC1535 in an application right now, and if you need RS-485,
it is pretty neat. It includes the hardware to drive a small transformer
that will provide you with an isolated 5V floating supply too.

However, I am MUCH more impressed with the Analog Devices ADuM5241ARZ which
not only has two isolated digital channels, but also the power transformer
is built-in, and the whole device fits in an SO-8 package. You can get 5V at
10mA out of it. Analog calls this series "Digital Isolators"

This is absolutely truly amazing. I am using one in one of my products right
now. The Analog Device part is not RS-485 compatible, it is just a digital
isolator (TTL in, TTL out), but with the built-in 5V power supply, you can
drive any RS-485 driver. For RS-485, you will need the 4 port version of the
chip (for the Tx Enable)

The app note says it runs at 300 MHz. I have not checked the device with the
spectrum analyzer yet, but with a 100 MHz scope, I can't see anything.

They now have special versions for I2C and even a new one that provides
isolated gate drive to power MOSFETs.

Both devices are specified to sustain 2500VAC for one minute (UL
requirement).

Didier KO4BB