[time-nuts] Allan variance Vs Plain Old Accuracy

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 15:23:10 EST 2008

Hello Martyn,

>Rubidium's oscillators usually stay within 1E-10 accuracy, about five  times
>better than any OXCO unit I've measured.

yes, your data  shows this. This is actually also reflected in your ADEV
measurements, your data  shows that at 100s and 500s the Rb has about 10x better
ADEV performance  than the OCXO, and looking at your 3600s plot the OCXO
wanders around in about  that time frame, so there is some correlation here.

So the ADEV numbers are not all that unrelated to frequency accuracy  :)

Please see Toms' ADEV measurements for four GPSDO's that he posted a couple
of days ago, the ADEV numbers for those units are a bit, to  significantly
better than your ADEV measurement numbers, I think the reason  is that the units
he tested very likely all had DOCXO's.