[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Thu Feb 21 00:19:15 EST 2008

Hi Chuck,

I had forgotten these tricks, which were the norm 20 years ago when I was
too lazy to pull the 6805 emulator. Now that I am used to the full debug
capability of the Silabs chips, which uses only the reset and one other pin
on the smaller chips (the other pin being able to share debug and normal
duty), I don't have to resort to tricks like this :-) You get that
capability even with their $18 USB based "development system" that's the
size of a stick of gum.

> Many would say this is a religious issue, but I would disagree.
> The 6 and 8 pin PICS are simply awesome in what they can do
> in virtually no space.  The tools are cheap, or free.  The
> PIC's are cheap too.

No religion involved, I think the PIC line is unequalled when it comes to
the variations and features that are available in the small pin count
packages. Silabs only has half a handful of chips in DIP packages (is two
the same as half a handful?) but they have some pretty awesome parts in SM
packages that are 3x3 mm or so (they start at 11 pins, 10 + a tab), so if
you do not do the soldering by hand, you can't complain that there is no
room for a powerful uC.

I am getting familiar with the AVR line simply because a number of my
friends use them and speak highly of the architecture, but in general, I try
to stay with open, multi-sourced architectures, so the 8051 has a leg up on
PICs and AVRs from the start. I made that decision when Motorola forced me
out of the 68HC05, like so many others. I have not regretted it. Motorola
was not able to get me in the HC08, even though they gave it a good try. I
was not going down that road again. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me
twice, shame on me (or is it: don't burn me again?)

The Silabs chips start at a couple of $, so they are out of the sub-$1
market for sure. That's fine with me, I don't mind paying an extra $ for the
features and convenience :-)

Like many things, uC are tools. The tool that you are the most comfortable
with is often the best choice, for practical reasons, even more so when you
have to make a living out of it. For me, it's important to know that when I
start a project, I can finish it within schedule and within budget. My
familiarity with the 8051 and many of its variants (and my favorite
compiler, and the ton and a half of available code) gives me that
capability, but as you pointed out, it's not the only way. I understand you
feel the same about the PIC. That's perfectly OK.

Now, if you want an evening of fun, buy a Silabs toolstick and a base
adapter (about $28 + shipping from Mouser) and you have everything you need
(hardware and software, including demo version of the Keil C compiler) for a
fun uC project. Please note the Keil C51 compiler can be replaced with the
free and excellent SDCC compiler.

Here is an example of what you can do in an evening:
http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/AFSignalGenerator/SigGen.html

I have built a bunch of small projects using the small Silabs target boards
directly.

Didier

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
AM