[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Feb 21 10:36:41 EST 2008

Hi Didier,
.., I can use a pin that ordinarily
>> would run an LED as a diagnostic port.
>
> I had forgotten these tricks, which were the norm 20 years ago when I was
> too lazy to pull the 6805 emulator.

It's sort of funny, 20 years ago, I was flush with emulators, and used them
for most of my development.   The had their place back then, as my projects
were spiraling out of control in terms of complexity.

Now, I just do PICS, and don't need such things.  I can debug most effectively
with either simple diagnostic messages, or a scope.

I don't miss how code that would work with the emulator bombed without the
emulator ... and vice versa.

  Now that I am used to the full debug
> capability of the Silabs chips, which uses only the reset and one other pin
> on the smaller chips (the other pin being able to share debug and normal
> duty), I don't have to resort to tricks like this :-) You get that
> capability even with their $18 USB based "development system" that's the
> size of a stick of gum.

PIC's will do the same thing.  I just haven't had the need to yet.

>> Many would say this is a religious issue, but I would disagree.
>> The 6 and 8 pin PICS are simply awesome in what they can do
>> in virtually no space.  The tools are cheap, or free.  The
>> PIC's are cheap too.
>>

> No religion involved, I think the PIC line is unequalled when it comes to
> the variations and features that are available in the small pin count
> packages. Silabs only has half a handful of chips in DIP packages (is two
> the same as half a handful?) but they have some pretty awesome parts in SM
> packages that are 3x3 mm or so (they start at 11 pins, 10 + a tab), so if
> you do not do the soldering by hand, you can't complain that there is no
> room for a powerful uC.

True, they have made a number of wins.

> I am getting familiar with the AVR line simply because a number of my
> friends use them and speak highly of the architecture, but in general, I try
> to stay with open, multi-sourced architectures, so the 8051 has a leg up on
> PICs and AVRs from the start. I made that decision when Motorola forced me
> out of the 68HC05, like so many others. I have not regretted it. Motorola
> was not able to get me in the HC08, even though they gave it a good try.

I tried to learn the HC10, but I could find no compelling reason to learn
yet another processor.

> was not going down that road again. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me
> twice, shame on me (or is it: don't burn me again?)
>
> The Silabs chips start at a couple of $, so they are out of the sub-$1
> market for sure. That's fine with me, I don't mind paying an extra $ for the
> features and convenience :-)
>
> Like many things, uC are tools. The tool that you are the most comfortable
> with is often the best choice, for practical reasons, even more so when you
> have to make a living out of it. For me, it's important to know that when I
> start a project, I can finish it within schedule and within budget. My
> familiarity with the 8051 and many of its variants (and my favorite
> compiler, and the ton and a half of available code) gives me that
> capability, but as you pointed out, it's not the only way. I understand you
> feel the same about the PIC. That's perfectly OK.
>
> Now, if you want an evening of fun, buy a Silabs toolstick and a base
> adapter (about $28 + shipping from Mouser) and you have everything you need
> (hardware and software, including demo version of the Keil C compiler) for a
> fun uC project. Please note the Keil C51 compiler can be replaced with the
> free and excellent SDCC compiler.

I have one around here someplace.  I was frustrated because I couldn't get it
to work under linux and wine.   CCS has a native linux compiler, and their windows
compiler works nicely under wine.  I am having some trouble with Microchip's
programmer under the current wine release, but it has worked in the past, I'll
get it working again.

> Here is an example of what you can do in an evening:
> http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/AFSignalGenerator/SigGen.html

Your server seems to be down right now.

-Chuck Harris