[time-nuts] 35601A as stand-in for 11848A ?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 22:35:54 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/6/2008 15:01:25 Pacific Standard Time, jmiles at pop.net
writes:

>85671A package or mine, how _exactly_ are you turning the dBc/Hz  values you
>get from (say) the 8561E into your ~-120 dBc/Hz  numbers?  Let's hear the
>step-by-step procedure on that, and the  problem should reveal itself.
Hi John,

by selecting a 1Hz RBW on the 8561E. The APII analyzer should have a 1Hz  BW
normalization as well, although I checked in the user manual again and it
just specifies "dbm" without regards to RBW. How does one calculate RBW from an
FFT? Is it the width of a given FFT bin? I will check this again, and try to
increase the number of samples.

But even with say a 10Hz RBW I would expect the noisefloor to only rise
10xlog(1/BW) or 10dB, much less error than what I am seeing.

bye,
Said