[time-nuts] 35601A as stand-in for 11848A ?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Jan 11 14:54:42 EST 2008

> I also recently acquired a 11848A interface and have written  a small
> program to control the 11848A (and also the 35601A) over the HPIB
> bus which
> allows the various signal paths and filters to be manipulated
> using a PC. My
> eventual goal, largely inspired by John Miles Phase Noise program (thanks
> for contributing this great program), is to emulate some subset of the
> functionality of the 3047A/3048A software.  It turns out, there
> are quite a
> few "details" to be concerned with but John has already done much of the
> heavy lifting in controlling various spectrum analyzers and
> slogging through
> some of the more problematic noise computations,  which makes the
> task more
> manageable.

You're welcome, Kent, I'm glad it was helpful.

I am going to make a serious attempt at winning the 3561A FFT analyzer
that's up on eBay now, being sold by someone local to me here in the Seattle
area.  If I succeed at that, I'll add support for it to PN.EXE.  Once the
basic GPIB acquisition code working, it'll just be a matter of doing the
user-interface work to merge the data from two analyzers like the 3048A
software does.

None of that will happen overnight, but I would like PN to support automatic
measurements with a full complement of 3048A gear eventually.

-- john, KE5FX