[time-nuts] Favorite DC power Supply?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri May 2 19:14:13 EDT 2008

> From: Patrick <optomatic at rogers.com>
>
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> I have been using a power supply from an old computer for my bench set
>> up. I am finally going to break down and purchase a proper variable
>> power supply. One channel ought to do for me and I don't need a
>> programmable one.
>>
>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a supply under $600 U.S? Any
>> garbage ones to avoid?
>>
>> Thanks in advance-Patrick

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I'm partial to the old
HP/Harrison 6200B supplies.  They do 0-40 volts at .75A, or 0-20 volts
at 1.5A.  CC and CV modes, but you have to live with an analog meter.
They don't take much space, and there are usually plenty on eBay for
around $50.  Some of them require a bit of refurb, but they're easy to
work on and there's a manual available at the Agilent manual web site.
I have three of them (along with a newer Agilent supply with digital
readout but similar rating) on a shelf above my workbench, and a couple
of spares tucked away.

For demanding applications like looking at ultra stable or ultra low
noise OCXOs, I use a "super regulator" board that's available from
http://www.at-view.co.uk/alwsr.htm in the UK as a bare board, board with
low noise op-amp (surface mount) installed, or complete unit.  Using the
6200B to drive one of these boards built for 15 or 24 volt output works
very nicely.

John