[time-nuts] Measuring 10 MHz accurately.

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed May 7 17:28:34 EDT 2008

Hi Ulrich:

The SR620 has a 1 kHz Reference output that's derived from the 10 MHz external
clock input.  It also has a Gate/Arm function.

Appendix B in the PRS10 Manual explains how to use these two features to make
1,000 time interval measurements per second thus averaging the 20 ps one shot
way down.  http://www.prc68.com/I/PRS10.shtml

The time interval armed 1,000 times per second and the difference between zero
crossings of a pair of 10 MHz signals are measured.  So the range of
measurement is 100 ns before rollover.  I think at least one of the test
signals needs to be 10 MHz to drive the external clock input to get the 1 kHz
reference.  But you could use Toms PIC divider to generate a 1 kHz signal from
about any test signal and use the same method.
http://www.prc68.com/I/FTS4060.shtml#SR620Fast
http://www.prc68.com/I/TandFTE.shtml#SR620

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke