[time-nuts] Time-zones and World time..

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Nov 1 21:28:02 UTC 2008

Hal Murray wrote:
>> One can, of course, observe meridian passage for a variety of stars at
>> night, and from that determine the time (given a calendar and the
>> appropriate almanac data), so you could directly observe midnight.
>>

> What does "directly observe" mean?
>
> Stars aren't conveniently located where I want them.  I think I'd have to do
> something like time when a star that's close to midnight crosses a
> north-south line in the sky that's above my location.  So in addition to the
> almanac, I also need a (good?) compass.

A compass isn't actually required for determining the meridian.
If you have located the Meridian and have identified the star, then its
not necessary to use one that has a meridan transit at local midnight.
In any event if you dont know exactly where you are identifying local
midnight may be problematic.
A PZT or equivalent may be easier to setup.

> Maybe I don't understand how navigation by sextant works.  They get latitude
> from the elevation of the sun above the horizon.  Do they also get time
> (local noon) by noting when the sun is highest?  I think that would be hard
> to do since you are looking for the peak of a sine curve.  That has a broad
> flat top.  There isn't any conspicuous peak.  Do the numbers work out?  Can I
> get the peak close enough to be useful for navigation?

An accurate watch or equivalent source of UTC is required.
Various techniques for determining the time from Astronomical
observations are somewhat impractical at sea.
>> Don't forget too, that solar noon varies quite a bit (minutes) from
>> "mean solar time" over the year.  If you're navigating your ship with
>> noon sun sights, this is pretty important.
>>

> What do I google for if I want that correction?

Googling isnt a reliable technique for marine navigation, at least
during the journey.
> There are quite a few time scales.  Which one do navigators use?

UTC is usually required in the calculations, as it is (currently)
closely tied to the Earth's orientation angle.

Bruce