[time-nuts] WWV / WWVH / WWVB

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:55:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Brad Stockdale <brad at shinji.net> wrote:
>        o WWVB = 60 KHz

I bought a nice little module from digi-key to handle this.
561-1014-ND, under $11 including the ferrite antenna.

>        o WWV  = 2.5 MHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz, 15 MHz, or 20 MHz
>        o WWVH = 2.5 MHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz, or 15 MHz
>
>    Hmm, I just noticed that WWV and WWVH overlap... How in the heck
> do you differentiate between the two stations if they broadcast on
> all the same channels?

different gender of voice, and they don't talk at the same time.

>    Can anyone suggest a kit, or project listed online with
> schematics and parts lists, or I guess even reasonably priced commercial units?

See the above digi-key module. hang it off an arduino or something...

>    If I can't get radios that have built in decoders for these
> stations, I'd be happy just receiving their audio and then trying to
> build my own decoder using a PIC or something...

lots of existing work to build on
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm_projects/glcd_dcf77/index.html
http://www.schatenseite.de/binaryclock.html?&L=2