[time-nuts] COMPLETELY off topic - but I know you'll read it anyway.

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Oct 11 12:38:39 UTC 2008

If 500W are specified for a 4 ohm load, you will only obtain 250W for
each channel over a 8 ohm speaker. In bridged mode, it is not true that
basically one channel drives the upper part of the sine and the other
the lower: they operate in push-pull, supplying each side of the speaker
with opposite phases so you will obtain the double peak-to-peak  voltage
value over the load than in the single ended configuration. Double
voltage would mean four-times power, so the amplifier surely is not
rated for the same load in bridged mode than in single-ended two-channel
mode. If minimum load for each channel is 4 ohm in single-ended mode,
usually it is 8 ohm for two channels in bridged mode.

So if you have 8 ohm speakers... use it in single ended mode (better
reliability also, as Poul-Henning pointed), and you will get 250W per
channel. In brigde mode, you could only put the two speakers in parallel
if the amplifier is rated for 4 ohm loads in bridged mode.

Regards,

Javier