[time-nuts] Which GPS receiver?

Murray Greenman Murray.Greenman at rakon.com
Wed Sep 10 15:56:57 EDT 2008

Ulrich,

Living where you do, I'd suggest checking out the U-BLOX range of
modules. The model you need is the LEA-5T. The LEA-5 family is
state-of-the-art, and I believe uses an ATMEL DSP software baseband
engine (with reportedly one million correlators!)

I have two of their modules (LEA-5H and LEA-5P) here for evaluation, and
they are impressive. Unfortunately they didn't send me the timing
version!

See http://www.u-blox.com/products/lea_5t.html
and http://www.u-blox.com/products/evk_5t.html

This module has self-survey, single-satellite mode, 15ns timing accuracy
and a configurable time pulse. The easiest (and no doubt most
expensive!) way to deploy this module would be to buy the evaluation kit
EVK-5T, which comes with USB and RS232 interface, active antenna, power
supply and all the software and documentation. From my experience, the
U-BLOX PC support software is excellent.

U-BLOX are based in Switzerland, so more-or-less speak your language.

73,
Murray ZL1BPU