[time-nuts] OT favorite chip programmer/favorite ROM emulator

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Apr 10 02:35:33 UTC 2009

> Hi Everyone
>
> Sorry for the off topic post. I have received such great advice in the
> past with regard to instrumentation purchases, I just can't resist. The
> caliber of knowledge on this list is second to none.
>
> I am looking for a low cost chip programmer(under $300, preferably under
> $200). Has anyone had a positive(or negative) experience with a
> manufacturer?

What kind of chip programmer?  Microcontrollers, or PROMs?  If you're
looking for an economical PROM burner, I'll put in a plug for this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290304315635

The seller's been around a long time, and is good to deal with.  The board
itself looks sort of disreputable, but it's actually quite functional, easy
to use, and a real bargain.  The device catalog is decent, if you don't mind
occasionally having to look up equivalent part numbers.  Avoid earlier
versions that used hybrid LPT/USB connections, as they had some problems.

-- john, KE5FX