[time-nuts] HP 106B quartz frequency standard...the story

Dave M masondg44 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 9 16:51:40 UTC 2009

> Hi all,
>
> Latest update.
>
> With some help and phone calls from Bill the fault seems to have been
> isolated. I have removed Q11 from inside the oven and it is cactus. Q9
> is also very suspect so I'm going to replace that for good measure.
>
> Q9 is a 2N1701 in a T08 package. Thanks to various people I should be
> able to track one down. Q11 is marked as 1854-0003 and that's an HP
> internal number and all I know. Might have to substitute that one.
>
> After all this I have some quality photos and can knock up some good
> descriptions of the repairs and the 106B internals if anyone is
> interested. Any websites hanging around that want to take what I have?
>
> Regards and thanks to all!
>
> Jim Palfreyman

Jim, the 1854-0003 is a pretty common HP part in older eqpt.  If you have
junked 5245L counter handy, it's full of them, especially in the decade
counter PCBs.  If you don't have one handy, I have an assembly here with 8
of them on it.  If you like, I can send it right away (if you're outside the
USA, you pay postage).

Dave M
masondg44 at comcast dot net

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the
self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the
purpose.