[time-nuts] Power Back-up

G0MIC at aol.com G0MIC at aol.com
Sun Aug 9 20:56:26 UTC 2009

On  Sun, 9 Aug 2009
Robert Darlington wrote

>I use a 100 pound APC UPS (Smart-UPS 2200XL) that I was given a few  years
>ago.  I suspect it will run a thunderbolt for a month.   Check eBay and you
>can probably pick one up  cheap.

>-bob

I tried to use a Trust UPS to transport a GPSDO  for a demonstration so
that I would not have to wait for the warm up and  stabilisation period.  The
attempt failed because the UPS cut out after a  few minutes despite the UPS
being proven capable of running a 60 Watt light bulb  for an hour.  After
emailing the distributors it turned out that the unit  was designed to cut out
if the load was not high enough.  The 8 Watts the  GPSDO used was not enough
in this case despite the UPS theoretically being able  to support it for
over 7 hours.

You may need to check out the specification of the UPS to see that the
minimal loading will not be a problem if you are looking for a long support
time from a UPS.

Regards
Malcolm
G0MIC