[time-nuts] GPS chicken tracker (slightly OT but sorta-not-really)

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Wed Dec 23 11:03:40 UTC 2009

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> A friend of mine has asked me for a good GPS method to find out where
> his chickens are laying eggs.
>
> A GPS tracker comes to mind but some
> (http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060405/really-cool-portable-gps-tracker)
>  seem good but expensive.
>
> Does anyone have any cheap (and possibly smaller) alternatives?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim Palfreyman

I guess there are issues with free-range chickens that never would have
occurred to me.

The transmitter idea Bruce gave seems reasonable. Then the eggs brought
a whole additional set of weird problems to my mind. Just because you
know where the chickens have been doesn't mean it will be easy to find
the eggs. Don't you need some kind of egg laying sensor too? Twisted
thoughts of a flap with a microswitch, or infrared beam sensors.

Strange robo-chicken images bouncing in my head that will take a while
to clear. Thanks a lot.