[time-nuts] Any experienced HP 2804A thermometer users out there?

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 23:20:31 UTC 2009

On 25/01/2009, at 6:05 AM, Robert Atkinson wrote:

> Hi John,
to measure a solid surface I would use a very thin copper/constantin
thermo-couple
and put the "cold " junction on your thermometer probe in an
insulated shield.
The "hot" junction goes on the part of the board to be measured.
A microvolt DVM is needed to measure the thermocouple, a 1 microvolt
difference is about .025 Kelvins.
Here you get the lack of self heating of the thermocouple and very
small down-lead conduction because of the thin wire,
but you get the stability and accuracy of the quartz thermometer
underpinning your measurement. There is
a neat little quadratic that converts microvolts from the
thermocouple to temperature difference.
The main difficulty with using thermocouples is the accuracy of the
cold junction and your quartz thermometer solves that problem.
If you have doubts about your microvoltmeter you reverse the
thermocouple connections to get twice the error difference.
If you want more bang for your buck wire 5 thermocouples in series,
insulate the junctions from each other, and use the
composite junction on your board to get a resolution of 0.005
Kelvins,. The reversed polarity trick also works here to remove DVM
offset.
I know this is not using the quartz thermometer directly but it would
be a very good way to measure a board to 1millikelvin.
For theoretical reasons a thermocouple can not have a temperature
offset.
cheers, Neville Michie