[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt setup optimization and addinga10811 OCXO

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Tue Jul 14 20:38:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:32:37 -0700, John Miles wrote:

>What are you using for the Kvco constant with your 10811-based Thunderbolt?
>If you don't back it down to -0.2 V/Hz, the loop's damping factor will be
>very wrong, which might confuse the firmware.  Check the Kvco, and also do a
>factory reset after changing the OCXO to make sure it forgets anything it
>might be remembering about the OEM part.  (You might try that, too, Arnold.)

>-- john, KE5FX

John,

I put in as K0 what I measured several times with the 10811
as 'gain' with -0.74 Hz/V. Is that not the right way? I tried to
use several times also higher values. The result was not impressiv,
did not give clear signs either.

A factory reset I did not perform yet, but I am trying at the moment
the proposed 0.2 or even a bit lower values. Tomorrow I will
check the result, but up to now I do not have a good feeling.

What about all these recovery parameter settings?
I believe that they are not really counting for this problem.

Regards,
Arnold