[time-nuts] Tbolt packaging - suggestions ?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 04:14:07 UTC 2009

I did quite a bit of testing of the Tbolt response to ambient temperature.  The way I wound up isolating mine from the 1 degree C ambient temperature swings due to air conditioning was to find a corrugated cardboard box a couple of inches bigger than the Tbolt on each side.  I placed the Tbolt on the box on a piece of 1" thick foam.  I led the leads out of the box and then wrapped the box with aluminium foil.  This reduced the temp swings to under 0.08C and kept the internal temperature under 45C (in a 74F ambient environment).

I covered the Tbolt power supply with a separate (flameproof) box.  (I did not give it the full treatment or use the waffle foam since power supplies can fail rather combustibly).

This cut the self-reported swings in the PPS/OSC signaal by a factor 2-3 times.  About 1/3 of the temperature induced swings in the PPS and OSC values seem to be due to the power supply.