[time-nuts] Loran-C & French Clocks

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Mar 17 19:56:05 UTC 2009

Magnus, at least as of 2000, "GMT" was still the legal time in the UK,
though it doesn't have a technically accurate definition any more.  A
bill in 1997 attempted to change UK time to UTC, but it died in Parliament.

There's some discussion of this at pages 93-94 of a book that was
recommended here a few months ago, "Splitting the Second" by Tony Jones.
  It's well worth a read as a general overview of timekeeping.

But outside of the UK, I don't think GMT is viewed as a defined
timescale today; UTC has supplanted it everywhere (that I know of).

John
----