[time-nuts] New GPS Signals

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 25 17:29:43 UTC 2009

brooke at pacific.net wrote:
> Hi:
>
> There are three new civilian GPS signals, L1C, L2C and L5.
> http://www.prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#GPSs
> The original civilian signal, L1 is at 1575.42 MHz (154 * 10 * F0,
> F0=1.023 MHz).

f0 should really be set to 10,23 MHz.
> L1C is at the same frequency as L1 but uses the code like Japan.

It looks similar to L5 actually, but coordination with Galileo, QRSS,
Glonass and Compass is underway.
> The new L2C signal is at 1227.60 MHz (120*10*F0).  Allowing for path
> length corrections.
>
> The new L5 signal is at 1176.45 MHz (115*10*F0).  This is intended for
> aircraft safety.  It also has the largest frequency difference to L1 so
> should also be the best for determining the path length through the
> ionosphere/troposphere allowing for a more accurate time fix

Currently we have these signals:
L1 C/A (from all current sats)
L1 P(Y) (from all current sats)
L1 M    (from GPS-IIR(M) sats)
L2C      (from GPS-IIR(M) sats)
L2 P(Y) (from all current sats)
L2 M    (from GPS-IIR(M) sats)

In a couple of weeks we can also expect the first transmission of

L5C    (from GPS-IIR(M)20 sat)

It will be years before we see L1C (from GPS-III sats).
> I'm hoping my Polaris Guide receiver will get upgraded firmware to get
> these signals as well as have WAAS added.  See:
> http://www.prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#Pol
>
> Are there any new timing GPS receivers that take advantage of the new
> signals?

There is a few, but they are not in wide spread. You need to look into
the geodestic receiver market. Trimble amongst others have receivers
claiming support.

Cheers,
Magnus