[time-nuts] New GPS Signals

brooke at pacific.net brooke at pacific.net
Wed Mar 25 18:27:39 UTC 2009

Hi Magnus:

The reason F0 = 1.023 MHz is that it's also used as the basis for the data
bit rates.  The L1C/A code is 1 ms long @ F0 rate.
The L2CM (Moderate) code will be 20 ms long @ F0/2
The L2CL (Long) code will be 1.5 sec long @ F0/2,
so maybe F0 should be 511.5 kpbs?

I discovered that the Trimble p/n 16768-80 Trimpack GPS receiver has a
graphics capability, which none of the others have, and wanted to know
why.  So I'm in the process of reverse engineering and repairing it.
There's still a power supply problem that's making the LCD extreamly hard
to read, but now I know the reason for the graphics is to switch between
English and Arabic for all the displays.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Trimpack.shtml#GraphicsTP

My interest in the GPS Link frequencies and codes is related to the
Polaris Guide (civilian version of the current military DAGR GPS receiver)
and possible firmware upgrades.  I've just got off the phone with Rockwell
and they say the Polaris guide only has L1 capability (I was expecting
that it also had L2 since the DAGR has L2).
http://www.prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#Pol
I'm in the process of adding a LF differential beacon receiver interface
to the Polaris Guide.  Also have the connector on order to add Have Quick
time fill to the O-1814 Rb Time and Frequency standard.
http://www.prc68.com/I/O1814.shtml

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com