[time-nuts] Time Signals on TV signals

Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Mon May 25 21:07:50 UTC 2009

It appears that the time information is transmitted in line 21 of the
analog TV signal.
This is the same line that carries Close Captions in an analog signal.
It further appears that PBS is the major carrier of these time signals.
See :
http://simson.net/ref/autoclock/Interface-June-01.pdf#search=%27PBS%20time%20signal%20auto%20VCR%20set%27

This may explain why you are having problems.

I do not know how this is handled in the DTV world.

We translate line 21 captions to CEA-608 and CEA-708 captions for out
DTV transmissions.

See:
http://ncamftp.wgbh.org/DTV/CEA%20test%20material/Iteration_1/It1.2ReadMe.pdf

This explains a little about the conversion of analog line 21 to DTV captions.

It is possible that you can set your recorder to read 608 captions?

Hope this helps.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV