[time-nuts] Time Signals on TV signals

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon May 25 21:19:40 UTC 2009

I think you're talking about the VITC, which is on lines 19  and 20 (so you
get it on both fields with interlacing).  VITC carries
hour/minute/second/frame (same as LTC), but I don't know if it's "program
time" (since start of program) or "real time).

There's a bunch of flavors of vertical interval time code, too.. Some put
different info on each line, and use up to 4 lines.  And don't forget the
complexities introduced by 3/2 pulldown.

As for what's actually broadcast (as opposed to put on a VTR or distributed
in the editing suite) that's a whole 'nother ballgame.