[time-nuts] WWVB Clock didn't change...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Mon Nov 2 04:18:00 UTC 2009

It's not necessarily a sign of a problem.  In many WWVB clocks this
is intentional.  I know of one radio station that had one controlling
an automation system and it did change, 3 hours early!  The station
was in CA and it changed at 9 PM the night before (the eve of the
great change).  I have a home type that had switched by this morning
but my Spectracom 8170 had not.  It requires a change in the
zone-hour-offset switch in the back.   This is safer than having it
switch at a time when it could cause some embarrassment.  Your's may
have the same requirement.

Burt, K6OQK

At 07:41 PM 11/1/2009, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:26:54 -0700
>From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa at latt.net>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] WWV Clock
>To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>         <time-nuts at febo.com>
>
>On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 05:51:24PM -0500, Glenn Little WB4UIV wrote:
> > My WWV clock at home and the master clock at the TV station that I
> > am engineer for did not update to EST from EDT.
> > Did anyone else see their WWV clock not change time for DST?
>
>         WWVB does have a bit that accounts for it, but most of those
>clocks just try to update once a day, and if they take a single bit
>error in the minute or two they check, they'll miss it.
>
>         Also, many of them don't truly implement the DST mechanism;
>but relied on an internal calendar that told them when it would be
>due, and otherwise tend to disregard that bit.

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.
biwa at att.net