[time-nuts] Home NTP ? & GPS Clock s/w

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 8 09:11:51 UTC 2009

hudsonray at yahoo.com.au said:
> Can anyone suggest how to setup a 'home' NTP server under windows
> (useing WAMP or similar). This is just for use on a home LAN.

I know nothing about Windows.

The standard ntp package runs on windows.
Meinberg compiles it and wraps it in an installer.
  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

> Also does anyone know a good (free) GPS clock for windows (synced to
> com port or NTP server)

What level of accuracy are you looking for?

You can get free servers over the net.  Your ISP may offer a NTP server.  The
pool is what most people use.
  http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html
  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers

If you want better time, a local GPS clock is the usual answer.  The Garmin
GPS 18 is popular.  Under $100, some assembly required.
  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringGarminRefclocks