[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Mon Nov 16 03:17:37 UTC 2009

My first contact with LORAN was at the bankrupcy of a local company that
supplied tracking and location services for trucking companies. The trucks
had a receiver that sent data back to home base via two-way radio and home
pbase computed positions. I was only nteresteed in buying their mimis.

In the early 80s I was playing around with uP (8085) based LORAN receivers
(Made by Appelco/Raytheon). One version read out time differences and a
more advanced (w/ 2x 8085s) version read out Lat & Long directly. Either
would pinpoint my location to 100' class. It was accurate navigation in a
two-way radio sized box.

There were, of course, no map or chart displays. Imagine what 20+ years of
development would have brought.

-John