[time-nuts] Amatuer Radio Information

francesco messineo francesco.messineo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:36:12 UTC 2009

On 11/25/09, Robert Darlington <rdarlington at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Out here I'm almost exclusively on HF bands using the modern digital
>  communications modes like PSK31.  The first license (Technician) will not
>  get you on the HF bands unless you count 6 meter (50MHz) as HF.

well, 6m isn't anything like HF (imho).

>  In 10 years
>  I haven't heard a soul on 6 so I don't really even bother with listening
>  anymore.  To get on HF, the General license will get you 95% of what Extra

wow... I think I worked something like 90 dxcc countries with modest
setup in less than three years (but that was in 2001-2003).
For sure I worked all europe and all african active countries with 10W
into a homemade vertical J-pole antenna back in the best years of the
last solar cycle.
Now with a medium-sized beam in the right months I can work from USA
to Japan (with 100W only).
I see from the cluster spots that USA and all american continent are
also much more blessed with 6m propagation all the year with respect
to europe in this very low cycle minimum.
Sorry for the extreme off-topic, but it's just to witness that VHF
isn't dead and many of us don't even have HF antennas and still enjoy
the activity in the VHF challenging bands all the year.
Amateur radio has so many different aspect that any technical person
can find always new challenging aspects to explore.
No band is dead if someone has the right interest in it!

best 73