[time-nuts] Double oven ocxo's was Tbolt reception problems

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:45:53 UTC 2009

Warren,
Perhaps I am being too hard on the Tbolt. If I never had a Z3801, I am sure
I would like the Tbolt a lot more. The Z3801 seems to just sit there and
work without having to assure either its voltage or temperature or anything
else for that matter. I do believe the things I am seeing are coming from
the Tbolt because I compared an LPRO to the Z3801 and saw only a very slow,
uniform slip in phase.  No jumping around at all. By slow, I mean that it
took several hours for it to slip 1 cycle.
As to the double oven OCXO, I have 2 I purchased off eBay in the last few
months. One is a Morion MV89 and the other a UCT 8663. I compared both to
the Z3801 over several days and was not impressed. They seemed no better
than a good single oven unit. Of course, I wasn't trying them over a large
temperature excursion but I expected them to be better than a single oven. I
wouldn't expect either of them to improve the Tbolt much. The only thing to
really impress me lately has been the LPROs. They do move but seem a lot
less picky about everything than a quartz oscillator.