[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 2 12:28:05 UTC 2009

Hi Bjorn,
The car was Thrust-SSC, Design phase was late 1995, running 1996/7. We were limited on funds too. One unit we looked at was the Rockwell Jupiter, I just looked at the spec and can't see a speed limitation, but it was a problem at the time. Dispite the stories that it was a well funded effort, the whole project was hand to mouth with equipment being selected on availability as much as suitability. A lot of stuff was begged borrowed or removed from a skip (dumpster) ;-). I was responsible for the cockpit instrumentation, engine electrics, various other system bits and was part of the start/turnaround team that ran the car in Jordan and Blackrock Nevada.
Robert G8RPI.